Top 10 Reasons To Buy An Electric Bike
by Richard Munster
The electric bicycle is one of the lesser known great marvels of today’s exercise and commuting world. The e-bike can turn almost any situation, for anyone, into a fun filled, trailblazing session of excitement. Now, enough with the flower-y language, because the e-bike doesn’t need the facade. Today’s electric bicycle features are a laundry list of high tech gadgets (like rechargeable batteries) and simple pleasures that should make anyone who enjoys a bike ride (and even some of those that don’t) want to cruise around town. You don’t have to completely take my word or the electric bike specs for granted either, because here are 10 great reasons to win yourself over with:
- Fun & Safe – You can’t really beat the all star, 1-2 punch of an electric bicycle being fun and safe. Just about anyone that hops on one of these beauties and gets to feel the ease of peddling mixed with the comforting hum of a powerful electric motor is sold on it’s fun factor. Turning the simplest jaunts into an electric cruise that will keep the wind in your hair and a smile on your face, you will find that no one takes just one ride. E-bikes are a great way to keep exercise simple and safe too. With a variety of designs and features, e-bikes can really branch out an athletic arm to even the most apprehensive person. From too young, to injured, to just a little older and less confident about their strength, the e-bike offers a safer and easier environment to get exercise in, without any of the fears and limitations of an only manual-powered bike.
- Reduce Pollution – In today’s world, you won’t get very far without considering or being persuaded to consider making decisions that are more “green,” or in other words, better for our environment. The e-bike is about as green as it gets. With rechargeable battery packs, on top of the already green, human-powered design of a bike, the e-bike will get you to most places a car will but with much less of a carbon footprint. Start doing your part now and help keep the green where it should be.
- Save Money – Who doesn’t want to save money with the recession we are in? I know I do, which is why I look to an e-bike. With an e-bike there are huge costs that you can avoid. From as big as actually avoid buying a car and replacing it with an e-bike, to just using an e-bike to supplement your existing transportation modalities, there is money to be kept in your wallet. The rechargeable battery pack will go far in both saving the environment, but more importantly, saving you trips to the gas station. I know I’m glad I have my e-bike before gas prices rise again for summer!
- Commuting – Want to save time and money commuting? As mentioned above, we know that an e-bike will save you money that would be spent on gassing up your car, but do you know it will also save time? The average bike ride to work is faster or as fast as the equivalent driving commute, except you get to take away all of the frustration and even add in some mood-elevating, endorphin-driven, exercise to your daily routine.
- Parking – To follow up the ways that an e-bike will relieve commuting, don’t forget about the dread of every commuting experience – finding parking at your destination. Even if you have a reserved parking structure, it is often nice to avoid the beautiful concrete monstrosities and be able to ride right to the door of where you are trying to go. We also can’t forget those who have to pay for parking, or who have a lot of meters around where they live. We all could use cheaper and easier parking options, or if nothing else, at least a reprieve from parking tickets.
- Control Over Pace – Now it might sound a little wordy, but what I am trying to say here is that an electric bicycle offers you great versatility in HOW you exercise. Want to just get the blood flowing on your way to work without getting your clothes sweaty? Done. Want to take your favorite scenic route but you are afraid of that one super steep hill on the way home? Taken care of. With the ease of mixing in a motor power to match or replace your peddling, let yourself be in control of how much exertion you give and lose all those fears and anxieties about exercising!
- Spending Time Outdoors – As sad as it may sound, do you know that some adolescents in America are being diagnosed with Rickets? If you don’t know what that is, it is a Vitamin D deficiency that will cause poor bone development. This is happening because we Americans love staying indoors (even to exercise) and don’t get the ever necessary daily sun exposure that we should be. While there is always a necessity to also be careful of the Sun’s harmful rays, the Sun also provides us with necessary health benefits. Get yourself or your youngster an e-bike and make sure that they don’t mind a daily cruise through the magnificent outdoors.
- Less Requirements – Simply put, an e-bike takes less to get up and running than other forms of transportation. A car, truck or motorcycle requires driver’s licenses, let alone insurance for them, which is something an e-bike will never expect you to have. Whether physical or personal, the ease of avoiding a car can be fully utilized if you own an e-bike.
- Less Maintenance – An e-bike also is going to be cheaper and longer lasting in the need-to-repair department. While an e-bike or its components might not seem that cheap at first glance, you have to realize what kind of expenses it will be able to replace. An untimely car breakdown can be an expensive and time consuming venture, and one that might be completely avoided with an e-bike.
- No More Excuses – Probably my favorite reason, but also the most amorphous one. At the end of the day, if you wanted me to boil up the most important reason to get an e-bike it is so that you don’t have any more excuses. If you are wondering – what does he mean no more excuses? I am referring to everything. From the reasons listed in items 1-9 and more, an e-bike can take away so much of the hesitation and frustration of daily exercise, commuting, or errand running, and even add more fun to those activities than before. You won’t ever be too tired, too hurt, too lazy, too young, or even too old to hop on an e-bike and take a spin around the block.
Richard Munster is a freelance writer and electric bicycle enthusiast from Los Angeles, California